Telemedicine is exploding during the social distancing necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic. But it is not a method of treatment thay you can just jump into especially if you are going to provide telemedicine services across state lines. Do you need to be licensed there? Do you need at least one face-to-face encounter? Can you get reimbursed? What are the rules for e-prescribing? How do you avoid Medicare fraud or False Claims Act liability? What about HIPAA compliance? You need to be compliant in all these areas and with the new rules Health and Human Services has put in to cope with the epidemic. This webinar will answer all the questions.
- Learn the difference between telemedicine and telehealth
- Learn under what conditions a physician or other provider may practice telemedicine (licensure)
- Learn how to set up a telemedicine system
- Learn what security and privacy is required (HIPAA)
- Learn the rules for reimbursement.
- Learn how to avoid Medicare fraud
- Learn how to e-prescribe lawfully
- Learn the requirement for informed consent
- Learn the HHS waiver and non-enforcement rules for the COVID-19 national emergency
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Telehealth is broader than telemedicine, including such things as electronic medical information and other non-treatment modalities
- Is a license to practice required if you are in one state treating a patient by telemedicine who is in another state. What about a limited license? Or can you just register to practice telemedicine
- What do you need to make certain the system you acquire is both compliant and does what you want it to
- What must you do to comply with the HIPAA Security Rule? What HIPAA Privacy Rule patient rights must you afford
- Will and under what conditions will Medicare/Medicare or private insurance reimburse telemedicine sessions
- What areas pose a risk of Medicare fraud: False Claims Act violations, upcoding, and illegal kickbacks
- What are the laws and DEA enforcement rules for e-prescribing
- Must you get a specific informed consent/user agreement for telemedicine
- What portions of HIPAA and other laws has HHS either waived or said that they will not enforce violations thereof
|Other Related Webinars:|
Who Should Attend:
- Physician Assistants
- IT Specialists
- HIPAA Privacy and Security officers.
- Compliance Officers
- Telemedicine System Vendors
- Office Managers
- Patient Accounts Personnel
- medical record supervisors
- Health Information Management Administrators and Technicians
- Other practitioners who may practice telemedicine (e.g., psychologists/substance abuse counselors)
About the Presenter:
Jonathan P. Tomes, Juris Doctor with Highest Distinction, is a healthcare attorney, author, and consultant who has successfully represented eight covered entities who have been investigated for an alleged HIPAA violation. He has also consulted for more than one thousand covered entities and business associates from major federal and state agencies and major hospitals and physician practices to one-clinician offices. He has literally wrote the book on HIPAA compliance and has been an expert witness in HIPAA court cases. He also has published books on physician licensure and medical staff privileges, informed consent, and Medicare fraud and abuse and has defended and served as an expert witness in such cases. As a former malpractice attorney, an AV-rated (preeminent and highly rated for ethics by the Martindale-Hubble legal rating organization) attorney and former military judge, he is uniquely qualified to guide the healthcare industry into cost-effective telemedicine compliance.
You will receive an email with login information and handouts (presentation slides) that you can print and share to all participants at your location.
Operating System: Windows any version preferably above Windows Vista & Mac any version above OS X 10.6
Internet Speed: Preferably above 1 MBPS
Headset: Any decent headset and microphone which can be used to talk and hear clearly
Can’t Listen Live?
No problem. You can get access to On-Demand webinar. Use it as a training tool at your convenience.
For more information you can reach out to below contact:
Toll-Free No: 1-302-444-0162