The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have different methods of sharing and publishing their policies and guidelines. Two of those methods are National Coverage Determinations (NCD), and Local Coverage Determinations (LCD).
Anyone who is associated with the coding, billing and documenting should understand where to discover these rules and what can be found in the policies. Medicare only covers administrations and techniques that are viewed as medicinally necessity. There are conditions in which a provider may feel that something is required for the diagnosis or treatment of a patient, however, Medicare doesn’t feel that the patient meets their criteria for medical necessity, and so the claim is denied. NCD’s and LCD’s help with recognizing what conditions and problems are considered payable for a service or procedure.
The expert, Lynn M. Anderanin, CPC, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-I, COSC, will discuss the basics of applying the Medicare National Coverage Determinations and Local Coverage Determinations in the billing and coding of professional claims for accuracy and minimization of claims denials.
- Identify where you can find Local Coverage Determinations (LCD) and National Coverage Determinations (NCD)
- Learn how to apply the Medicare’ s coverage determinations in either the original claims billing and coding or when a claim has been denied because of these determinations.
- Know the criteria necessary to choose the LCD’s based on your geographical area
- Review the layout of these determinations to be able to obtain information from them efficiently
- Explore how to find the articles related to LCD’s for critical coding information to be applied to claims
- Get the latest updates on LCD’s and NCD’s and when those updates normally occur
- Apply determinations to your claims for proper processing the first time
- Realize other insurance carriers that are applying the same determinations to claims
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Navigation through the Medicare Website for NCD’s
- Looking up LCD’s for your geographical location
- Searching for the information you need
- Reviewing the parts an LCD or NCD.
- Choosing pertinent articles related to LCD’s
Who Should Attend:
- Facility Inpatient and Outpatient Coder
- Medical Assistants
- Claims Processors
- Payment Posters
- Anyone involved with Professional fee for service billing and coding
About the Presenter:
Lynn M. Anderanin, CPC, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-I, COSC, is the Sr. Director of Coding Education for Healthcare Information Services, a physicians revenue cycle management company. She has over 35 years experience in all areas of the physician practice, and specializes in Orthopaedics. Lynn is currently a workshop and audio presenter. She is a former member of the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) National Advisory Board and has served on several other boards for the AAPC. She is also the founder of her local chapter of the AAPC.
You will receive an email with login information and handouts (presentation slides) that you can print and share to all participants at your location.
Operating System: Windows any version preferably above Windows Vista & Mac any version above OS X 10.6
Internet Speed: Preferably above 1 MBPS
Headset: Any decent headset and microphone which can be used to talk and hear clearly
Can’t Listen Live?
No problem. You can get access to On-Demand webinar. Use it as a training tool at your convenience.
For more information you can reach out to below contact:
Toll-Free No: 1-302-444-0162